JLO, JENNIFER — AND YOU
Posted by avnerhershlag on April 4, 2010
In her new movie Back-up Plan, a single woman (Lopez) turns to artificial insemination to answer her ticking biological clock only to meet the man of her dreams on the same day as her positive pregnancy test results.
In an upcoming film, The Switch, based on a New Yorker story by Jeffrey Eugenides (author of Middlesex, one of my favorite books), a neurotic and insecure man finds out his best friend (Jennifer Aniston) wants to have a child through artificial insemination. He surreptitiously replaces her donor’s semen with his own and is then forced to live with the secret that he is the child’s real father.
Now what’s happening in the REAL WORLD? If you are a single woman out there, is artificial insemination by a sperm donor an option for you?
Here are some talking points:
- Women increasingly take control over their reproductive future.
- This is part and parcel of the EMANCIPATION OF WOMEN
- As women climb up in the social ladder, spending as much time on higher education and career advancement as men, they come to realize that biology has not dealt them a fair share: as years go by, HER biologic clock is not only ticking; the alarm keeps sounding off! And the man — HE doesn’t even own a biologic clock. His fertility is always at a high. He doesn’t have to juggle fertility and career. And wait: he doesn’t have to juggle motherhood and career either! His bread is buttered on both sides.
- So now you may realize why so many men who may finally seem to be “Mr. Right,” turn out to be “Mr. Not Right Now.”
- So as you go up in age, the number of possible contenders dwindles, should you consider the alternative: taking control over your reproductive future, before it is too late?
- How much of a choice do you have when it comes to donors?
- Anonymous. Does it scare you? How much will you know about your donor (you’ll be surprised)
- How safe is it?
- What do you tell my child? When?
- What if your child wants to meet his father?
- Are you ready for single motherhood?